Monday, July 23, 2012

Fun with Chalkboard Paint..

Whimsical Chalkboard Paint Tree

Creating a fun, functional creative space in my daughter’s room was as simple as buying a quart of chalkboard paint.  Cheyenne has been able to decorate, draw and design using just a simple box of Crayola Chalk which I scored from Wal-mart for 99 cents.  I wish I would have taken a picture for each design she has made...her tree has been such a magical part of her childhood!

How do I make a Chalkboard Paint Tree?

Buy a quart of Chalkboard Paint from your local Hardware or Craft Store.  Here is a link to purchase the paint at a Home Depot near you.




Or if you are a super crafty lady you can head to The Idea Room Blog and create your own chalkboard paint. (I bow down to you and your awesomeness if you pick this option!)
Next, free hand or stencil your tree before you paint.  I was feeling lucky and inspired by Alice in Wonderland so I free-handed Cheyenne’s tree. The only thing I used was a pencil...and an eraser.  I drew right on the wall, which just feels so fun and naughty! I actually felt like at any minute my mom might walk in and ground me.

If you go the stencil route here are a few sites to help you out:


Once you have your tree design up you are ready to paint.  Be aware that chalkboard paint stinks, not quite like a skunk but pretty much up in that realm.  The paint is also very thick and a little bit trickier to paint with until you get used to the texture and weight.



My biggest tip is get creative, have fun and remember the chalk is easy to erase but the memories for your son or daughter will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment